Re: REAR HUB REMOVAL

To: David.Mcdermott@Colorado.EDU, laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: REAR HUB REMOVAL
From: DrMayf@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:19:19 EST
Hello all.

I used to have trouble getting hubs off...no more. I made a purpose built
puller from a)piece of flat 5 inch x 5 inch x 1 inch aluminum stock. Steel
would work also. Drill four holes at 4 x 4.25 spacing with 7/16 oversize
drill. b) Cold rolled bar stock 2 inches long drilled and tapped for stud
thread size. c) 4 grade 8 7/16 bolts same thread as studs, of the appropriate
length, approximately, but it could vary some. d) some flat washers, say about
a dozen. I screw the cold rolled pieces onto the studs as far as  can. Then
put a washer under the head of the bolts, run them through the flat plate and
screw them into the cold rolled pieces. Then put a piece of scrap between the
end of the axle and the flat plate. Oh, and you need to loosen the axle nut so
that there is about an 1/8 inch space between it and the flat axle washer.
Tighten each grade 8 bolt using good shop practice (i.e. alternate). I hav
never had a hub go betond 40 ft-lbs before it comes off.

You are now the recipients of a lifetime of hub removals.  (I had a 1954
Kaiser well, actually two of them, and their rear axles are EXACTLY the same
as the tigers except for the length of the housing and hub. They used a 5 bolt
, bolt system). Same gear ratio, Dana 44, keyed hubs)

mayf