Re: Brake Booster

To: "Chris Richards" <richards@northcoast.com>, <DJoh797014@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Brake Booster
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:02:46 -0800
At 07:35 PM 1/26/99 -0500, Chris Richards wrote:
>> Remember to keep everything sanitary.  Brake fluid is a
>> great paint remover.  If you get on your hands remember to
>> wash before touching any painted surface.
>
>I reccommend replacing all of the brake rubbers and replacing the fluid
>with silicone brake fluid.  It works well with the "real" rubber parts and
>the worry for paint distortion dissipates.
>
>Chris in Trinidad

Chris, et Listers,

I know we've debated the pros and cons of silicone versus DOT 4 before, but
just to add the obligatory counterpoint, I would only use silicone if
protecting the paint were an overriding consideration. For example, a
garage queen that is only driven on and off the trailer. And flush the
system every so often to try and remove the moisture. Even flushing may not
get the moisture out if it collects in dead spaces. I think that, to a man,
everyone who has tried to use silicone brake fluid in hard use
(race/competitive) has sworn never to try it again. The result is
invariably loss of brakes at the most inopportune time. Castrol GT LMA is
no longer made. I bought several cans of it when I heard it was
discontinued. Last I heard you could still get Girling brake fluid from SS
and probably elsewhere. I haven't checked to see what MM&J are stocking as
an equivalent. Anyone know of any good substitutes for us poor SBC owners?

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com