RE: Rather have a Big One

To: "'Mark Radelow'" <radelow@hotmail.com>, johnson@ids.net, JPKKMK@aol.com
Subject: RE: Rather have a Big One
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:07:40 -0700
The funny thing about engine power is that you can't make it everywhere. Any
piston engine built to develop maximum power "well above" 5000 rpm is not going
to perform worth beans at 2500 rpm and below. And that means you can't use 2.88
gears anymore. Not having 2.88 gears means you get to row the gearbox driving
around town, and let's face it: The toploader shifts like a farm implement
compared to any Japanese transmission (okay, not Mazda's :) built in the last 30
years.

And what's GOOD power in a V-8? 1 hp / cu.in? You won't get much over that using
factory heads, even with porting and oversize valves. Even making 400 hp out of
a 302 only gets you 1.3 hp / cu. in., and I would like everyone who has a real
400 hp Tiger that is pleasant to drive around town to share their secrets,
please. The only thing that saves high-RPM V-8's is that even if they are so
tightly tuned that they only make 60 ft-lb of torque at idle (compared to say
300 at peak), that's still enough to move a Tiger off the line with reasonable
vigor. With a smaller engine, having that kind of peak to idle torque ratio is
going to make the car hard to drive. Not that it can't be done, you just have to
drive like you're on a mission everywhere you go.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705