RE: Rather have a Big One

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rather have a Big One
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:12:37 -0700
Hi Bob,

Good to know someone is reading my rants ;). Like you say, most of the current
high-RPM engines use some kind of variable intake tuning to broaden the
performance (I won't call it torque or power) band: Yamaha with the dual-runner
setup, Toyota with their TVIS (like on my '85 GT-S), Honda uses their VTEC
variable valve timing thing, and so on. The best one (and most unmaintainable)
I've seen is what Mazda was using on their GTO rotary a few years back, where
they had carbon fiber ramstacks that slid in and out according to the engine
RPM. Mark commented that he'd seen V-8 engines that made lots of power at high
RPM, and so have I, but I'm sure that same engine would not do so well putting
around downtown (not without a lot of the technology you mentioned). The nice
thing about a big engine in a small car is that 'not so well' is usually still
perfectly acceptable.

My point (other than to tweak the big-v8-is-best gang) was that the smaller
engines are generally set up in a higher state of tune than most V-8's, and that
results in them being more finicky to drive. It has also resulted in a lot of
development being directed at solving the driveability "problems" associated
with these engines. You are right when you say that you can drive them at 2500
rpm and below, but if you need to go anywhere quickly, you'll need to get the
RPM up to where you're making some power, and some people resent the fact that
they have to row the gearbox all the time even when they're not pretending to be
Jacques Villeneuve.

#2:
I knew that the farm implement thing would get someone going. I agree that the
transmission is a fine piece of work (can we get an all-aluminum case for it?)
and well-matched to the engine, but the shifting action is, well, a little heavy
for everyday traffic-jam use. Compare it to a mid-seventies Toyota Corolla or
Celica gearbox if you ever get the chance.

#3:
Well, I'm not sure that I was making a statement on that subject one way or the
other in my post. I'll guess that most people associate low-rpm performance
(what they call 'torque') with around-town traffic-light situations, and
high-rpm performance (what they call 'horsepower') with racing, and so everyone
says 'torque is king for street cars'. Not true, since you can use rear-end
gearing (and that shift lever thing) to optimise the engine RPM for the driving
conditions you encounter most often.

Warming things up from the Great White North,

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705