Re: Rather have a Big One - Reply

To: johnson@ids.net, Dan Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Subject: Re: Rather have a Big One - Reply
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:50:45 -0800
At 05:35 PM 2/4/99 -0500, Alvin and Lucille Johnson wrote:
>Dan Jones wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, the new 5-speed boxes are a lot smoother shifting, although I
>> >haven't tried the Tremec which I believe is more like the toploader (so
>> of
>> >course this is the one I want).
>>
>> I have a Tremec TKO behind the 351C in my '66 Mustang.
>> It's a he-man tranny.  Also, the stock short throw shifter
>> is lousy.  It sucks to do a 7000 rpm shift from 3rd to 4th and
>> find 2nd instead.  I quickly ordered a Pro 5.0 shifter after
>> that incident.
>>
>> Later,
>> Dan Jones
>A Pro-5.0 makes the world class T-5 a pleasure to speed shift. But the
>top loader in my Tiger was smooth as silk. Maybe its time for a rebuild.

Right after I rebuilt my toploader, it was pretty "notchy" I guess is the
term. It has a lot to do with the detents and how stiff they are set up.
The rebuild instructions said this was normal and that after some use it
would shift smoother (which it has). Of course, the linkage setup is
critical too. Maybe the Delrin bushings need replacing. This will eliminate
some of the slop too. Also, the gear oil you use is a factor. Some people
use synthetic ATF. I use synthetic, but 80W gear oil, not ATF which is a
lot thinner. I think we covered some of this ground already; like GM has
some really bitchin tranny oil, etc.

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com