Re: British Engineering Might

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Engineering Might
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:00:21 -0800 (PST)
>From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
>Subject: Re: British Engineering Might
>Bcc:
>>Another true story that I can vouch for since my father
>>was involved.
>>
>>The FAA (called CAA back when) had a research center at
>>the Indianapolis Weir Cook Airport called TDC (Technical
>>Development Center).  They too were shooting chickens at
>>aircraft windshields with a compressed air gun that shot
>>them at speeds of about 120 MPH.
>>
>>The SPCA heard about the tests and were abhorred at this
>>abuse of live chickens.  They insisted that the FAA kill the
>>chickens first!

I remember seeing a TV show when I was a kid in the fifties.  They were
shooting turkey carcass's out of a compressed air cannon not at windshields
but at running engines mounted on a test stand.  If I remember right they
were testing to see if the engines and props could take a hit from a large
flying bird.  I remember that the turkey's were wrapped up in paper and
tied with string.  It was a weird sight.  The big props just chopped them
up like minced meat and didn't loose a beat.

Armand Ritchie

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie