Re: Rear end question

To: CALUMETAIR@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear end question
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:21:22 EST
In a message dated 2/26/99 3:48:55 PM, CALUMETAIR@aol.com writes:

>Hi, long time "lurker" here.
>Kinda shy in the past (I didn't even know what year my Tiger is.
>Thought I'd kick off my participation by asking what I should do with the
>differential ?
>I have a stock Tiger rear end. I will have a carbureted 302 HO from a Mustang
>keeping the engine bay warm until I get sentimental and put the 260 back
>in.I
>plan to street drive my car for fun only. Maybe some play racing on a track
>or
>two.
>Will the stock unit suffice? Is there an "upgrade" differential that lends
>it'self to limited slip? Does the stock unit have limited slip?
>My reading research years ago mentioned a real serious wheel hop problem
>with
>stock Tigers. Any common cure for this ?
>I will have to replace tires and wheels too, so they are not a factor at
>this
>time.
>Thanks a bunch, Tom M.  1964, B382000257 Lansing, Illinois (Chicago suburb)

Well Tom
 The rear end will be just fine as far as ability to handle the additional
power and torque.Your Tiger may or not have posi.That is not your immediate
problem.There are minor differences between a 302 and a 260 ,but they are in a
very important area.The block of a 302 is the same physical size as a 260,but
the bolts that attach the rear of the 302 to the clutch bellhousing are in a
slightly larger 6bolt pattern and the 260 uses a 5 bolt pattern that is
smaller.so the 302 also uses a larger flywheel in a   different crank bolt
pattern,and the bellhousing might need to be adapted to fit your
transmission.(there are also differences between early 302s and late 5.0s.)You
will also need to fabricate a new clutch slave cylinder bracket or adapt your
own to fit.That may seem like a lot,but they are SOLVABLE sroblems that many
people on the list have already mastered.
 I rebuilt my 260.I havent done anything like this since I owned a 383 'Cuda
in the
late 70s.I will not put that sort of money into another 5 bolt motor if I
didnt get mine right.I will put a 302 in and be done with it.To that end I
have been slowly buying the pieces for the work-around.Just in case.
Good Luck
Tony