Re: Brake problem

To: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake problem
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 21:59:37 -0800
Andy,

Since you are desperately seeking a solution, I'll suggest a long shot. It
is easy to install the rear shoes with the leading edge and trailing edge
shoes switched. Especially if you look at the picture in the Shop Manual
and forget whether you are working on the left or right side. If you
reverse the shoes, it will cause that wheel to brake harder for the same
applied pedal. Suppose you installed them reversed on the right rear wheel.
This would cause your car to pull to the right during braking. The other
possibility is that you don't have equal caster on left and right front
wheels. This should show up as pulling to the right if you have less caster
on this side. If this were the reason, the car would pull to the right all
the time, but more so during braking. Pehaps you only notice it when you
apply the brakes?

Bob

At 11:14 PM 3/5/99 -0600, Andy Walker wrote:
>Dear fellow listers:
>
>I've run across a rather strange and perplexing problem on my Tiger.  It is
>pulling rather significantly to the right under braking.

snip, snip, ship,

>Could this be the cause?  I know it's a long shot but I'm getting despirate
>now.  Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.   Any ideas or suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Andy Walker
>B382001600

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com