Re: Brake problem

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake problem
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 01:33:39 EST
Andy,
        The question is do you believe one side is grabbing more than it should
or
one side is not grabbing as it should?
        I had a similar experience once over a vintage race weekend in my
Tiger: I
had a coolant overflow jug mounted in my Tigers fenderwell behind the
headlight (required to be somewhere) for road racing, and when it overflowed,
it splashed hot water/anti-freeze on the right front brake assembly, red hot
at the time.  It took several laps of hard braking in the following track
session for the brakes to pull evenly.
        You might check the runout on the front bearings.  If one side was very
loose, the hub/rotor could move out of plane with its ideal location.  A worn
out rack end could cause the toe setting to change and simulate uneven
braking.  Are the steering arms tight?  Mine were found to be loose at a tech
inspecting before an autocross, right after I bought my car.  Do you have a
remote oil filter or cooler lines passing anywhere nearby?  Is there any
chance of a pin hole leak oiling the rotor?
Jim Leach,      Seattle