Re: 351C

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: 351C
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:59:01 -0500
At 03:51 PM 3/28/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>Thanks for the empirical formulae Jim. I had the one for HP versus 1/4 mi
>speed, but not the others. What does the HP versus rpm curve of your motor
>look like? To get the most out of the motor, of course you want to operate
>it in the sweet spot; i.e., rpms spanning the HP peak. If you top out at
>the end of the 1/4 mi at 5500 rpm, this would imply that your peak HP is
>down around 5000 or less. I'd be surprised if this were true for your 351C
>motor. Isn't your peak HP up in the 6-7000 rpm range? And I believe you
>want to be crossing the lights wound up past the HP peak, at the point you
>would just be ready to shift again. The goal is to get the maximum
>integrated horsepower out of your motor over the whole 1/4 mile, although
>your ET depends relatively more on what happens early in the run.
>
>Bob
        The examples I gave were just examples, not necessarly the
exact figures for my Tiger.  I am still getting used to the Hurst
shifter and the SROD transmission.  Today was the first time in
a long time that I drove the Tiger to work.  I used to drive it
daily until I started the body work. So once I get a little more used
to the new setup I will use the GTeck Pro to determine HP , 1/4 mile
and Et.  I got on it a little this week end. It works much better
without a slipping clutch.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others