Re: Fwd: Fascinating OIl Filter Study

To: <twojohnsons@home.com>, "Rob Guerra" <Bomber44@kaiserair.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Fascinating OIl Filter Study
From: "Louie & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:15:58 -0700
Hello all, Just a short note to confirm what most know about "Fram" oil
filters. If you see them "On Sale" for an extremely low price, say 2 for
$5.00, buy one and cut it open. Many of these  are counterfits made in
thailand and instead of a pleated filter element, they will have cardboard
packed in them from "ming po's" cookie boxes and such! Could not believe it
myself till it was exposed in consumer reports about 12 years ago. Bought
one, opened it up and sure enough, it was actual trash inside it! I would
tell you what the box said, but it had a picture of cookies on it with Thai
language! I opened other Frams since, but they were OK. I did notice the
pleats on them are fewer and far between. Compare them with a real filter
and there is little comparison. I am not yet a physisist but you don't need
to work for NASA to know more pleats means more surface area therefore more
filtration with less resistence as well as longer life. When a filter begins
to clog, it is bypassed. This is equal to no filter at all. How much money
do you really save? I don't know, but an engine costs a lot to machine and
the time lost driving it as well as taking gear here and there... Time
itself has got to be worth something! I vote to not buy Fram filters. Lou

PS What do you say Bob? TTFN

>The only filter test I ever saw was in printed in Consumers reports several
years
>ago, and Fram was top-rated. I've used them ever since.

  He conducted a>> >comprehensive analysis of all the oil filters currently
on the market (or at>> >least available in his home town.)  His results are
interesting, if for no>> >other reason than that they substantiate the
well-known fact that Fram filters