Re: Speedo Cable

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Speedo Cable
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 00:44:58 EDT
What's the big deal about removing a speedo cable.  It
takes longer to say then do.  The trick is to get the car
on a lift.  Locate the bolt holding the cable to the trans.
Then you will see that Rootes has several holes in the
frame on the drivers side.  Simply slide some long 3/8
extensions through hole and remove the bolt with the
proper size socket. Pull the trans cable out with the
plastic gear attached and do your thing.  I can't
understand why anyone would want to come from
above from the inside of the car.

I've done this to at least 5 Tigers.  By the way the
original plastic gear was 15 teeth and usually stripped
when the speedo head seizes.  Beats having to open
the trans and replacing the speedo drive gear.  I
understand that a repro 15 tooth gear is now being
made.  Ford carries several others gears 16, 17, 18
etc that are cheap (under $10) and readily available.
Each step up brings down the speedo about 3-4 mph.
You can adjust the speedo until its almost dead
accurate at 60 mph.  Remember that it will probably
still be off at other speeds.  I found a 17 tooth makes
mine dead on at 60mph.  I'm running 13 in Dunlop HR's
on LAT 9's.  Your gear will vary with your tyre and
wheel choice.  This topic has been well discussed
by this net.

Dave Johnson  Chicago   (Snow predicted this Sat).