Re: 351 heat problems

To: Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com
Subject: Re: 351 heat problems
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 17:35:59 -0400
At 09:45 AM 5/13/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Chris S. Mottram@ECCI
>05/13/99 09:45 AM
>
>Jim Wrote:
>"Previously had an air dam that extended from the lip behind the
>bumper down to within 3" of the ground.  Had rounded openings to allow air
>to get to the stock TigerII oil cooler.  This dropped the temperature a
>good 15 degrees when running.  However it wore out and I no longer have the
>Air dam.  Was made of
>a sheet of 3/8" plastic.  This air dam also had a major impact on
>stability.  No more
>"floating" above 130 mph, solid as if I were doing 55 Mph."
>
>My Tiger "floats" at 70mph.  Did you see any improvement at lower speeds?
>Was is very noticeable?  I see lots of new cars with various black plastic
>airdams underneath that I don't think would look too bad under a Sunbeam.
>Has anyone found a nice looking airdam in a junkyard that is a reasonable
>fit?  I don't ever want to see 130 mph on my speedo unless I push the
>needle there with my finger :-)
>
>Chris
        Yes, the stability was improved at 70 or so.  However if you
are getting a lot of "floating" at 70 mph then you should check your
caster.  Both sides should be the same and somewhere around 4 detrees or
more for high speed stability.  If you have bias tires on the rear and
radials on the front, then expect to drive a marble down the road.
In fact it would be real easy to swap ends at unexpected times.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others