Temperature Gauges

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temperature Gauges
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:33:22 -0700
Listers,

A while back, I had the opportunity to participate in a short rallye
organized by an assoc. of British car clubs in San Diego. I had my car
there, and fellow listers Bob Palmer and Allan Connell had their cars there
as well. On a particular uphill section of the rallye I noticed a
significant increase in water temp, about 20 degrees F, from a gauge
indicated 195 up to just under 225 degrees F. After the rallye I asked both
Bob and Allan what water temp. their cars had run on that particular
section. Much to my dismay they both said around 200 dgrees F. With this
information in hand and knowing that my car should be running a comparable
temp. I set out to find my problem.

I posted the list and started asking about water pumps and radiator specs.
My engine and four core radiator were brand new and I knew my timing and
advance curve was right so I figured it was either the pump, fan or
radiator core type that was the culprit. Bob Palmer was kind enough to
bring his car over so I could measure his water pump, check out his
radiator and pick his brain about the Tiger cooling system in general. I
explained my cooling system predicament and described to him my thermostat
changes and other mods including the installation of a brand new VDO sender
and gauge. After about an hour of trading information he suggested checking
the actual operating temperature of the engine with a thermocouple would be
a good place to start.

I finally got around to borrowing Allan Connells thermocouple today, and
guess what? The gauge is off by about 20 degrees. It registers too hot!
before I started testing the car I ground truthed the thermocouple on the
stove and found it to be within 2 degrees at boiling. I'm about 300' above
sea level, whatever thats worth.

The next course of action will be to determine if the gauge and sender are
compatable. I didn't even think to ask that question when the guy at the
speed shop slid them across the counter together when I bought them.

So, to all of you out there in Tiger land who think you may have a big
overheating problem, before you "fix" anything find out if you really do
have a problem.

Thanks to Bob P. for the brains and thanks to Allan C. for the tools.

Mike