Re: Lord Lucas Helps!

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lord Lucas Helps!
From: tsmit@home.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:37:38 -0600
Steve, and Listers,

There is nothing to the guts of an instrument voltage regulator. The schematic
diagram on
page N-30 of the Tiger shop manual depicts what goes on in there, and that
diagram is a
fair representation of the physical setup in there as well.
There is a bimetal strip with a contact point set in the end. This strip has a
length of
resistance wire wound around it, such that current flowing through the wire
will heat and
bend the strip, thus breaking the contact, which cools the strip, which then
straightens
out and makes contact again. This assembly is carefully tuned by Lucas gnomes
to produce
10 volts on average, pro-rated to 1967. In order for this to work, the
regulator has to
be grounded; in the case of my regulator, there was a tab with a hole for about
a #8
screw spot welded onto the case.

Last summer I found my gauges to be reading incorrectly, and traced the problem
to the
regulator being screwed to the back side of the (wood) dash. Screwed it to the
dash
support instead, and then found that the regulator would sometimes stick 'on'
(get a high
reading on the gauges), sometimes 'off' (get zero on the gauges), and very
occasionally
it would produce an approximately correct reading. Score one for the Prince of
Darkness.

I fixed the problem by removing the internals of the regulator and replacing
them with an
integrated-circuit design. So far, no problems. I will be publishing this
schematic
(maybe with layout and assembly instructions etc.) shortly after SUNI. If you
want a
prototype, bring out your dead (and maybe a small donation :), and I'll put one
together.

I think the problem with yours is that some of the wiring under the dash is
mixed up, or
else is shorted. There is no way that the blower operation should be tied into
the
regulator function at all; the regulator should only operate the two gauges.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705