Re: "Understeer"

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: "Understeer"
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:07:02 -0700
Steve,

I once had a head-on collision with a TR-4. It was coming towards me in a
rainstorm and, swerving to avoid someone who changed lanes without looking,
started doing 360's across the center divide and into my lane. When he hit
me, it was square on his rear end. Shortened the TR-4's frame 12". I was
driving my trusty Volvo 544, which held up quite a bit better. I guess we
can learn from this experience that TR-4s oversteer. ;-) Maybe we also
learn the inherent superiority of Jensen versus Triumph chassis.

Have a nice sunny day,

Bob

At 09:27 AM 8/25/99 -0700, Steve Laifman wrote:
>To quote and old Road & Track article:
>
>"The difference between 'understeer' and 'oversteer' is which end of the
>car goes
>through the course barriers (snow fence/hay bales) first."
>
>{9->
>
>Steve

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES