Re: Stop Light Switch Question

To: steve sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stop Light Switch Question
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:52:56 -0700
Hi Steve, I changed the stop lite switch in my tiger when it stopped
working .  It wasn't to bad, I just unscrewed it from fitting, had to find
the right wrench, it was a little tight in there, but not to bad.  replaced
it in about ten minutes, didn't have to bleed the brakes.  Just don't let
junior step on the brake pedal when you have the switch off or fluid will
suirt out all over the place.  And make sure the threads are the same on
the replacement.  I bought mine from Rick at S.S.   It was a little more
than $10. but at least I knew it was going to fit.  Although it looked a
little different it fit fine.
regards Armand

>Thanks for the replies on my current problem. In the meantime, a local
>parts shop has a replacement stop light switch for about $10. They say I
>can usually just screw in the new switch and not have to take the old
>"junction" piece off the car. Sounds like it's worth a try if I don't
>have to bleed the brakes, etc. afterward. I wonder, though, if that
>switch will unscrew at all after what looks like 32 years or so sitting
>on my Alpine's wheel arch. Has anyone tried this route?
>
>Interesting in that when I first got in the Alpine this morning, the
>first few hits of the brake pedal, without too much pressure, got the
>stop lights to glow. As I ran the car a couple of minutes and repeatedly
>stepped on the pedal, it required more and more pressure to get the
>lights to operate, to the point where I had to apply a lot of pressure
>to get them to light. I know a couple of you have suggested just
>cleaning the switch and the piece. What does this entail? Just
>unscrewing the switch, and cleaning it, or taking the whole piece off
>the car and scraping its insides?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Steve Sage

ritchie@mcn.org