Re: Originality

To: Matthew P Bouchelle <mbouchel@juno.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 22:50:57 -0700
At 09:27 PM 10/6/99 -0400, Matthew P Bouchelle wrote:
>I was surfing Norman Miller's web site last night looking at B9471978 at
>www.best.com/~rootes1/forsalea.htm and decided that it was time to air
>some questions about original finishes under the hood.
>
>I noted that the car's overflow bottle, generator, generator bracket and
>fan shroud looked to be gloss black.
>
>I have also noted at most car shows that these items are commonly
>finished in gloss.
>
>However, on the few cars I have seen that are unrestored, it seems that
>these items are all flat black or semi-gloss black at best.  I am
>particularly thinking of a Mk1a that I saw that had low miles, was
>untouched and the generator even had the original white stamping with
>FoMoCo and some part numbers.
>
>What is correct per the factory finish for each of these items?

I believe you are essentially correct that the black finishes in restored
cars in general, and this one in particular, are much shinier than the
"black" and especially the "satin black" finishes the cars originally had.
There were several items like the generator, coil, oil cap, etc., that were
finished in "satin" black. The fan shroud was, I believe, probably best
described as semi-gloss, not the ultra-shiny urethane show finish often
seen on restored cars. BTW, the engines were black through approximately
B382000600, and thereafter were "Old Ford Dark Blue".

>To really stir things up I noted that Norman said the Tiger had a 289 and
>black seats with blue piping.  I thought a Mk1 only came with a 260 and I
>don't recall seeing different colored piping on any Tigers.

Regarding the 289 in B9471978, Norm states: "The engine has been up-rated
to a 5-bolt 289, allowing a totally correct external configuration." I
believe this is a polite way of saying the engine isn't stock, but the
external appearance is. (I'm certain someone will rush forward and tell us
there are external differences between a 5-bolt 260 and 5-bolt 289.)

Regarding the piping, page 137 of Norm's book gives the stock colors and
available interior combinations, of which there were several combinations
of contrasting piping. Norm gives the standard options for Oxford Blue as:
Black on Black, Black carpets; Blue with Dark Blue piping, Blue carpets;
and Blue on Blue, Blue Carpets. Moreover, Norm states that: "Contrasting
piping was only offered during the "B947" production and could only have
been specified by the purchaser if the order originated in England.
Original sales brochures mentioned just a few of the possibilities, which
with a little effort can be supplemented by examining the original parts
manual. Most cars shipped to the U.S. were painted the more common exterior
colors and used interior combinations listed below."

>Are these really original specifications?

I guess the answer, with minor reservations, is yes.

>Matt
>B9472103

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES