Re: carbs

To: CVaught@hawaii.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: carbs
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:54:16 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/99 12:02:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
CVaught@hawaii.rr.com writes:

<< thanks for the replies about my carbs. ifrom the replies i still do not
 know what i have but you all seem to agree on the 600cfm part. i really
 think i need a 650 dp with mechanical secondaries, what do you folks think.
 what do you use and what are your results? fuel economy is not a concern
 but i am curious about it. i have a 289. 9.5:1, edelbrock performer rpm
 intake, performer plus cam, headers, 3 chamber flowmasters, dual point
 ignition, stock tranny and rear end. what would work best with thisw combo?
 what should i change?
 thanks for the help! >>

Chris-
While I blew it with my wild guess regarding the Motorcraft/Holley, I do have
some experience with running the 1850. On my 302 SVO motor, the 600 was a
little fat down low out of the box, but worked ok when jetted down a couple
of sizes. As the car was used extensively for autocrossing, I finally went
down to a 465cfm Holley for sharp low end response, at the expense of
ultimate top end which was not a concern on the courses I ran.
In a car as light as the Tiger, a mechanical secondary carb would work well,
particularly if you have the room to take advantage of the top end HP
increases. However, in Hawaii, there isn't that many places to really let
loose and you might be happier with a smaller, vacumn secondary carb. (unless
you plan on making the Saturday night grudge races at Hawaii Raceway Park!)
I wouldn't splurge for the double pumper until the 1850 was proved
inadequate. 600cfm is plenty for a small Windsor and vacumn secondaries are
more friendly around town.
Mike