Re: carbs

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: carbs
From: tsmit@home.com
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 22:32:33 -0600
Hi Chris, and Listers,

I don't know about needing the 650 dp part, and especially not the
mechanical secondaries.
With the engine you describe you'll probably make about 250 real HP at
the flywheel (give or take, say, ten percent).  What do the carburetor
experts say is required for that kind of power? The nice thing about
(working) vacuum secondaries is that they open when and according to how
much is required, and they don't give a big bog if you floor it at lower
RPM.

On a different but related note, I've taken a left turn in my fuel
injection adventure and bought a used two-barrel ProJection system. It's
not quite complete (gotta get a fuel pump and an adapter plate), but
fitting this system and getting it going ought to provide some
entertainment this winter. I will take some pictures of the pieces this
week and post them on my site. Since the two-barrel is rated at up to
670 CFM, we'll see how driveable it really is on the street...

The full-on port fuel injection system will take a back seat, partially
because welding onto a used cast aluminum manifold turned out to be more
messy than I anticipated, and I'm now contemplating a fabricated steel
manifold. This will fix several design headaches at the expense of an
extra few hours of cutting and welding.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
tsmit@isotel.com