Re: Pulling the engine

To: Pete Stanisavljevich <pete_stanisavljevich@valpak.com>
Subject: Re: Pulling the engine
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:46:08 -0700
Pete Stanisavljevich wrote:

> Here's another idea: In Mike Taylor's book, it shows a Tiger engine sitting
> on a wooden frame/stand on a work bench being prepared for a rally car. I
> modelled my engine stand on that picture, just adding six caster wheels to
> make it mobile. Works great and a wag friend of mine stenciled "Property of
> Rootes Competitions" on it.
>
> Peter S.

Pete,

Sounded enough of an intriguing idea that I dragged out my Taylor book and
looked
on p. 125 with ADU 312B being prepped.  Thanks for sharing.

I see a block and bell housing on, what looks to be, wooden supports to the
heavy
bench.  The rear pan is supported by a 4 x 4 block of wood, and the front is
supported by two triangular wedges of wood that appear to bear on the pan bolts,
just below the block oil filter connection.  I imagine you put these on a
platform
with wheels, then, and fastened the pieces with big wood screws (1/4" or more).

I am not certain that those points will also support the weight of the
transmission, which is usually attached during R&R.  But then, you would know
how
you did that.

I have found a steel cradle at our local speed parts store (PAW) for about $60.
It has a square rectangular tube base, with steel risers ending in a slanted
block
motor mount connection.  Industrial wheels are an option, and available there,
or
at Home Depot.  This is designed to support S.B. Ford engines, with or without
tranny, and appears very strong.  Will even work without a pan.  This is more
like
the one sketched on Mark's site, but already built to fit.

Just another alternative.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/