Re: Laifman

To: "James Pickard" <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Laifman
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:57:38 -0700
Jim,

I guess you and Paul Sheahan are both on-line again. As an incentive, do
you suppose those of us who send in our checks to the Fat Chance Garage
could get exclusive authorization to use HTML in our submissions? Yes, I
know, FAT CHANCE!! ;-)

At 04:39 PM 10/15/99 -0500, James Pickard wrote:
>My hat's off to Steve.  Not only does he know Tigers, he knows the internet
>as well.  Since I changed computers and browsers, I haven't been able to
>send anything to this list.  Finally, I sent Steve an e-mail asking if he
>had any idea what the problem could be.  He pointed out my e-mail was in
>HTML format which this list won't accept.  Now I'm back on-line and am
>eagerly awaiting answers to several questions.
>
>Jim Pickard

BTW Jim, I guess you'll be opting to take your engine out the bottom, huh??

>Help!  The hood on my Tiger wouldn't stay shut.  The minute I drove it, the
>hood popped open.  So I adjusted the opening mechanism, moving it about 1/8
>inch forward.  Now the hood stays shut - permanently!  I can't get the thing
>open!  How do I cure this?

Regarding headers, Jet Hot Coat or Hooker's equivalent sure makes them look
a lot better. We had quite a discussion a couple years back about the
heating effect of stock versus headers versus jet hot coat. Don't remember
the consensus, but a lot of us have headers with jet hot coat and I don't
know of anyone that has a complaint. As for rusting out, back when they
used to put lead and other nasty stuff in gasoline, exhaust systems didn't
last very long. But, with the newer formulation, that's much less a
problem. But, if you wrap your headers with insulating tape to keep the
heat in, either to make the car go faster or keep the engine compartment
cooler (not sure why people do this), it will burn out the headers real
quick. (I know you weren't planning on doing this Jim, but just thought I'd
toss that comment in for free.) Is you mechanic going to make a little
money on the jet hot job? It might cost you $100 or so, but I would think
just for appearances sake it's worth that much.

As far as what you've left out - probably a lot. If each of us on the List
submits one item, that should keep you busy for at least another couple of
years, plus running up the cost considerably. My suggestion is, since you
will probably find lots to replace in the toploader besides gears, why not
get a new 5-speed. If 5th gear is 0.75 (which I would consider about
ideal), then you get the equivalent of 2.88 gears with 3.84. For different
5th gear ratios, just work out the math accordingly. And, of course, put in
a posi - Woops, sorry only one suggestion per person. ;-)

Well, TTFN,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES