Cold start truths

To: "'Laifman@Flash.Net'" <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Subject: Cold start truths
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:57:30 -0600
Steve and Listers,
As a matter of fact if you want to race cars with a dry sump up here in
Canada in September (Theo probably recalls the events called on account of
snow). You have to preheat the engine oil or the engine just plain will not
be lubricated due to the distance the oil needs to be pushed through lines.
To mitigate this at the track given that there was not a log fire handy we
obtained a stick on patch (deeeecal) on the side of our dry sump tank that
connected to our trusty Honda generator. The patch was a piece of crap as it
just fell off of the tank first time out. We then went to a very long (10")
engine block heater that we just plugged into the generator after is was
almost fully submerged in the oil by poking it in the top of the tank. Once
we saw a curl of smock coming form the top of the tank and the tank felt
sufficiently warm we would fire the car up. We used Mobil 1 20/50 with great
success.

PS: Steve is it with ridicule or genuine interest that you expose the Cold
Start Secrets. My experience is that if you walk by a Californians car with
an ice cream cone they consider that a cold start condition. Let me guess,
the winter in California is supposed to get sooooo bad this year you might
actually have to put the roof up on the Tiger.

Best regards,
Tim Ronak
The Canadian trying to defect (Don't hold it against me)