Re: Attaching Roll Bars

To: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Attaching Roll Bars
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:41:41 -0800
Jay you might try turning the bolts around and putting the nuts and washers
on the inside of the car, not underneath.  That might make the whole thing
easier.  The last rollbar I saw was done this way, maybe they ran into the
same problem so decided to switch the bolts.  You could at least do it on
the bolts you can't get to from underneath.

regards Armand

>Yikes!  Where did the other end of those bolts go?  Previously I carefully
>measured and placed my roll bar and drilled through the holes into the
>deck.  I pushed through the bolts.  This weekend, I finally went underneath
>to attach the plates and nuts.  I was able to get everything on except the
>front bolt which disappeared inside a boxed section of the body.  There are
>oblong holes through which I can see the bolt.  But, they are not in the
>right place, to push up a socket with the nut on it.  What do people do?
>
>Should I use a hole saw to cut a hole right underneath?  Also, on the two
>bolts on the front right side, next to the battery box, those seem down
>right impossible.  Even if I could get the nuts on - which I think I might
>be able to do, there is no wrench in the world that's going to get in
>there.
>
>Anyone been here done this before?  Any suggestions?
>
>Finally, the instructions say not to worry about the pressed ribs in the
>steel, to just compress them.  Does this bother anyone else?  I bought some
>fender washers in the hopes of bridging the gaps.  But, the way the ribs
>fall and the holes, they really won't work well.
>
>Thanks, Jay.

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie