RE: Attaching Roll Bars

To: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Subject: RE: Attaching Roll Bars
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:24:31 -0800

>On my Tiger I welded in a plate into the front corners of the parcel
shelf.

>Without the backup plates the bolts will pull through the sheetmetal when
>large load is applied. You have to decide whether it's going to be a 'roll
>bar' or a 'show bar', and put in the appropriate mounting.

I have been told by two people, Rick at Sunbeam Specialities, and AutoPower
where the roll bar was made, that bolting is better than welding.  The
reason given was that the sheet metal itself is very weak - in fact, weaker
than the bolts and washers, and heating it in the welding process will make
it even weaker.

That being said, it does come with large thick backing plates.  I don't
know if they total 20 square inches, but they might.  The plates easily fit
on the rear two mounting spots.  Its the front ones that are close to
impossible to do that without cutting a very large hole into that boxed
section underneath.  I guess you could cut it open, get the plate in, then
weld back the box.  But, that doesn't seem quite right either.

Note that I didn't even realize this box was down there until I slid
underneath to try to bolt it up.  I even thought I saw light coming through
when I looked down into the holes.  That light must have been coming though
the oblong holes along the box.

Jay