RE: Attaching Roll Bars

To: "'Jay Laifman'" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Attaching Roll Bars
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:01:00 -0700
Jay, and Listers,

When I raced my Corolla, the rules were that for bolt-in roll bars and
cages, each attachment point had to have a mounting plate of 20 square
inches area and 3/16" thickness, with a similar sized backup plate on the
other side of the sheetmetal.
For weld-in installations, the requirement was 20 square inches of 0.100"
plate, no backup.

On my Tiger I welded in a plate into the front corners of the parcel shelf.
The plates ended up being L-shaped to fit into the stamped depression of the
shelf, and to go past the fuel pump door opening on the right side. Then I
welded the roll bar to the plates. Sometime in its past life my Tiger had a
bolt-in installation similar to yours (judging by the holes drilled in
exactly the locations you describe) and I don't know how they would have
done their installation effectively.

Without the backup plates the bolts will pull through the sheetmetal when a
large load is applied. You have to decide whether it's going to be a 'roll
bar' or a 'show bar', and put in the appropriate mounting.

http://members.home.net/tsmit/rollbar.html

Regards,
Theo Smit