Safer Fuel Tank.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Safer Fuel Tank.
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:04:57 -0500
Folks,
     I have been considering replacing the saddle tanks
and the cross over pipe with a much safer setup.  I am
looking for a tank that is 33 1/4" wide, 22 3/4" deep and
7 1/2" tall.  I have looked at several ads for racing tanks
made of plastic, some foam filled and some with a metal
casing to fit over the tank.  I have not found any that
has the size I want.  I plan to relocate the battery
in the right rear fender well and the power brake unit
in the left fenderwell in place of the saddle tanks.
The idea is to still have some trunk room with the
new tank mounted flat to the trunk floor.
        I have a local custom builder who will  weld up
an aluminum tank for around $225.  I am not so sure that
the aluminum tank would be as safe as the new plastic tanks
that are now used for racing.
        Considering the way the cross over pipe is designed
on a Tiger, it appears to me that a Pinto with its
stock fuel tank setup is probably safer than a Tiger or Alpine.
        I also plan to add a sheet metal fire wall between
the trunk and the rest of the Tiger.  This is difficult to do
as the rear fender wells actually have clearance around
the outside that goes into the rag top storage area.
     When one gets old, you start to consider things like this.
I have been driving this fire hazard since 1969.
        If anyone has seen an ad for a racing tank of similar
size, please let me know.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others