Re: oil filters

To: MWood24020@aol.com, JimboAnder@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil filters
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 22:19:15 -0800
Mike, Jim,

I installed a dual oil filter setup in front of the left wheel of my Tiger
many years ago. I cut two holes for the oil lines as you did Mike. When
Dale A. "restored" my car, he plugged the holes and routed the oil lines
first toward the rear and then looped around and behind the upper A-arm
mount and forward to the oil filter. I would have worried about the extra
few inches of hose restricting oil flow, but that hasn't seemed to be a
problem (now about 35k miles later).

Bob

At 07:21 PM 3/7/00 -0500, MWood24020@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/7/00 3:34:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>JimboAnder@aol.com writes:
>
><<  On oil filters,
>     After endless skinned knuckles I can say with some conviction:The
>cleanest
>  installation is a couple of aircraft-type hoselines to a basic installation
>  just in front of the left front tire. Easily accessible for oil changes and
>  ending  those hassles with clearances and rounded nuts inside the motor
>  compartment. The endlessly generous and knowlegable Wally  Swift made my
>  connections, but he may not be available for private consultations. >>
>
>I did the same type of deal on my Tiger a number of years ago. It is a very
>convenient location, just remember to make sure you have a good seal on the
>lines and filter block, or else you'll wonder why the car pulls under
>braking...until you notice the oil on the rotor!
>Looking back on it, I regret cutting the hole in the fenderwell for the oil
>line pass through. I like the idea of using the original filter location with
>ss braided lines.
>Mike

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES