Re: voltage stabilizer

To: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Subject: Re: voltage stabilizer
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:28:30 -0500
I think you are all arguing over essentially correct statements
and missing the point of the original posters problem.

Someone.. in a post I have unfortunately deleted...

Complained that both their original instrument regulator
and a new replacement had the same voltage at the input
and output leads.

This is not consistent with providing a regulated 10 V
that the temp and gas gauges need.

However it is what happens if the regulator case is not grounded.
Mine is bolted to the steel dash support structure to provide the
needed ground connection.  Before blaming the Prince of Darkness
and buying a new solid state replacement I'd check that the metal case
is actually at ground potential.

FWIT the OEM Lucas regulator is a mechanical device and reduces
the supply voltage by periodically disconnecting it from the output
so that the output voltage averages to 10 V over time.  Compared
to modern electronic regulators it is very slow, but the gauges
are slower !!  A fast voltmeter might not average as slowly, it
well could see times reading the input voltage alternating with
zero volts.
                        Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754