Re: From the Hillman list: Re: "Hillman - " Driving an Old Car

To: scott van every <irishve@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: From the Hillman list: Re: "Hillman - " Driving an Old Car
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:12:57 +0000
scott van every wrote:

> Steve and Fellow Listers:
> I guess we all know that MTBE in drinking water is bad news. Most of us are
> drinking bottled water already because of what is coming out of the tap.
> What does it do to engines?  The news put out in the press was that
> oxygenating fuel would just make the existing gas burn much better, thus
> giving better milage and cleaning the air.  Was that hype and B.S. or
> somewhat true?
> Scott

I'm not the chemist, but I believe the claims for reduced emissions are correct,
if you only count the specific emissions on the prohibited list.  My
understanding
is it also produces 'unlisted' stuff that pollutes the water system.  As a side,
I've heard it's not so good for your rubber fuel lines, or other engine
components.

Let's hear form our chemists.

--
Steve