Re: Trick Flow heads

To: derekw@zamnet.zm
Subject: Re: Trick Flow heads
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:35:27 -0800
Derek,

I haven't seen this, but you should check it out.  The Twisted Wedge heads
looked
good, but I found out a few things talking to the racing guys.  All aluminum
heads
are thicker than the iron one.  Using roller rockers increase the valve cover
height.  Watch out for just how much clearance you have on the inner valve cover
corners to fire wall.  You can NOT mill these heads down to fit.  They were made
thicker because they are aluminum and they had to.  Of all of them, the
Edelbrock
is closest.

Ford just lost a huge settlement, and is replacing, or paying those who have
replaced, their head gaskets - or lost their motors from blown ones - on their
V6
iron block with aluminum heads.  The difference in expansion causes the gasket
start leaking, and disaster is just around the corner.  There is a new gasket,
steel or carbon fiber, or some such - and about $50, that is supposed to solve
this.

I was told that the Trick Flow does NOT use Threadserts, or Helicoils on the
threaded aluminum holes where vital connections must go, like your bolts and
studs, whereas Edlebrock does.  If this is so, it would be a decisive difference
to me.

There are TWO versions of Edelbrock, mostly differing in runner and chamber
volumes, as well as exhaust valve size.  I believe the early 289 is the one you
would want.

This information is not validated by me, as I just am not considering the
option,
but you should look before you leap.  They cost about the same.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/