Re: "Stroker" Motor

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: Re: "Stroker" Motor
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:33:06 -0800
"Ronak, TP (Timothy)" wrote:

> Ok everyone,
> In plain English.....I  am interested in knowing if the extra friction,
> stroke and cubes generated by the stroked motor outweighs the advantage of
> having a longer rod with a shorter stroke and less cubes and less frictional
> heat for RPM potential.

I'll take one shot at this, as I've stayed out.  I think that the stroke/bore
ratio has been studied for some time, and the only people who never got it tight
were the English, as that was a Tax question.

For whatever it's worth:

Square, or slightly over square engines (same or larger bore than stroke) reduce
the piston speeds and friction at any rpm.  I recall the Road and Track criteria
for good design and efficiency was to be able to have a good highway constant
speed at 2500 feet/minute piston linear speed.  They published the speed at 2500
fpm in every road test.

So, if efficiency and life expectancy are a criteria, I'd have to go with this.
do know that some new cars are gravitating to longer strokes, but I believe this
is a manufacturing and number of stocking parts issue, rather than a design
preference.

Dick and Tim, I hope this brings the discussion down to a simpler conceptual
level.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/