RE: "Stroker" Motor

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: RE: "Stroker" Motor
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:02:08 -0800
Tim,

Ken Mattice is still recommended for personal experience with the 347
stroker. His email address is kenmattice@aol.com. He has had his engine
dynoed and can probably send you the details. I recall a number just under
400 HP. His car runs high 11s in the quarter but is still very civilized
for street driving. If he has the popular 5.4" rods, with 3.4" stroke, that
gives a rod /stoke ratio of 1.588, which isn't all that bad. However, if
you go with the 327 (or 332 with 0.030" overbore) combination of 3.25"
stroke and 5.4" rods, that's a ratio of 1.66, which is actually pretty
good. The shorter 3.25" stroke also leaves more room for rings and wrist
pin clearance. From what I've read, this would be my choice over the 347.

One place that specializes in stroker motors is:

Nowak & Company
249 E. Emerson Ave., Unit F
Orange, CA 92665
714.282.796 (v)
714.637.0425 (f)

This information is about three years old though.

The idea I really like though is Jim's, and using a blower. I've seen one
Tiger firsthand with a small Paxton. That was back in about '78. I don't
remember much that had to be modified. He installed the blower on the left
side and ran a two-pass radiator with both the inlet and outlet on the right.

Hope this actually helps,

Bob