RE: "Stroker" Motor

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>, Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>
Subject: RE: "Stroker" Motor
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:10:57 -0700
Bob, Craig, and Listers:
The DMS dyno is  an engine dyno, not a rear-wheel chassis dyno. The whole
thing is fairly compact; the frame is about 6 feet square, and the flywheel
housing, including bearings, clutch, etc. is about 3 x 3 x 3 feet. The last
iteration I saw was controlled by a 486 computer with an I/O controller
card.

Regardless of the absolute accuracy, the repeatability of this dyno should
be excellent, especially between runs on the same day. The other good thing
is that it tests the entire RPM band under load, so you will know if you
have a flat spot anywhere, without having to get steady-state readings at 50
RPM points.

Regards,
Theo