351W head questions

To: Tiger Maill List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 351W head questions
From: "Richard Mills" <mills.richard@ssd.loral.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 09:58:36 -0700
Listers,
>From the casting and the paperwork I got with my Tiger it looks like I
have
351W heads on a 289.
I heard a noise from the right valve cover the was not right.
I removed the cover and found a broken rocker arm stud.
I looked like it had a couple of fatigue cracks at the failure.
I'll admit I'm a bit of a novice with these motors so could
you experts help me with the following questions?

1) What might have caused the fatigue and what should I
   pay attention to to avoid this failure.

2) I did't lowere the coolant level and when I removed the stud a bit of
water came
   out and ran down the oil passage. Dohh! I didn't know that these are
through holes
   into the water jacket. What should I do to remove the water? Got an
oil change routine?
3) Any suggestions on a source for the rocker studs?

4) Any comments on thigs to do during re-assembly

And one more Tiger question. I previous posts the front suspention ball
joint boots
are the same as the type II VW Bus boots PN 211-405-375. Do any of you
know of a source
for the boots only? I've done internet searces and asked the local VW
shops here in San Jose.

Thanks for your help,
Rick
'66 Tiger B382002537