Re: 351W head questions

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 351W head questions
From: derekw@zamnet.zm (Derek White)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:09:30 +0200 (ZMT)
Hi Richard et al,

I have been looking at the head question and most advice points to getting
better heads. One mustang web site ranked the aftermarket heads (GT40,
GT40P, GT40X, Edelbrock, TFS, Avenger, Brodix, World Products etc.) and came
up with an average for all the heads of something like $23 per hp gained. An
MSD box and a K&N filter will give more bang for the buck but changing the
heads is still pretty cost effective.

You can get bare TFS twisted wedge heads for about $690, assembled for about
$950 (Alternative Auto Performance Phone: (810) 463-0010.) Best deal I found
on Edelbrock heads is from Matt at Lizzard Racing (LIZARDRACE@aol.com) for
$950 (tell them Derek sent ya.) I think the TFS heads are better than the
Edelbrock but many recommend using the TFS heads with roller rockers due to
the valve train geometry. Edelbrocks are apparently easier "bolt on"
replacements and have slightly better low end torque (especially the one
with 1.9" inlets.) Of the Ford heads the GT40x are worth the extra $ since
the tests I've seen show them to be a lot better all round than the GT40 &
GT40P. The GT40Xs seem to sell for around $1150. Most of the complete head
prices include good stainless valves, uprated springs, retainers,
guideplates, studs etc. and a 3-angle valve job. Whatever you decide to use,
you could match the ports to the gaskets (inlet port exactly to gasket and
exhaust slightly smaller than gasket.) Then match your inlet/outlet
manifolds to the same gaskets.

351W heads are often on ebay and are usually under $100. The alumium heads
will save weight and allow higher compression due to their better heat
conduction (less localised hot spots to cause pre-ignition.) Some have
pointed out that they will transfer more heat to the coolant but lots of
people are running aluminium heads in their Tigers. Aluminium is more likely
to warp when you cook your engine and more likely to blow a head gasket.

I better do some work :-)  derek

Derek White
Zikomo Brewing Company
Box 31730, Lusaka, Zambia