Re: Oil Adapter/interchange question-to BOLDLY GO......

To: derekw@zamnet.zm, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Adapter/interchange question-to BOLDLY GO......
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:55:27 EDT
In a message dated 04/19/00 5:51:38 AM, derekw@zamnet.zm writes:

>What gearbox are you using? Any specific reason you're using the Boss
>bellhousing?

Hi Derek
 I am using the original Ford toploader that came in the Tiger.I purchased
the bell housing at a swap meet on the assumption it was a standard generic 6
bolt bell to fit a 6 bolt Ford V8.The  bell has been modified to fit the
earlier narrow-eared tranny (the one that the Mk1's use ) as well as being
able to fit the late model "wide-eared" transmission that was normally used
on the 6 bolt setup (Ford's way of dealing with it was to alter the 4speed
tranny case a bit-for a while they put both bolt patterns on the ears of the
transmission,but did not do the same with the bellhousing)
 I believe the source of the confusion to be all of Ford's doing. The 4
barrel 6 bolt bell was larger to take advantage of the new 11in clutch that
Ford was using for performance and racing that made neccesary the change to
the bigger 6 bolt pattern as well.The part # identifies it as having been
made in 1965, four years prior to the introduction of the Boss. It was called
the Boss bellhousing to differentiate it from the smaller,more common
bellhousing used on 2bbl apps when actually it should have been called the
4bbl bellhousing since the Boss came later.
That is about as clear as I can make it .
Thanks for the info on the oil filter gaskets- it was just an idea.
Tony