Oil Adapter/interchange question-to BOLDLY GO......

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Adapter/interchange question-to BOLDLY GO......
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:27:24 EDT
 Hi Gang
 I am installing a 302 into my Tiger . I have learned much more about the
subtle nuances of Ford mid sixties   clutch/flywheel parts  interchange than
I have ever cared to know.
  What are the odds that I would be able to pick up at a swap meet a Boss 302
manual bellhousing(C5AA-6394-B (?)-FROM MEMORY-I spent a lot of time at the
Public Library in an interchange manual trying to verify Signature's info-to
no real avail) not identified as such? The good folks at Signature  Auto
Classics (http://www.bosscars.com) had the boss blockplate I needed to fit
the bell,and recomended that I use a starter for a 68-70 302 auto trans to
work with the M-6375-A302 28oz balance 157tooth billet SVO flywheel that I
purchased for my project. The auto starter has three attachment holes ,but
the two on the outer ends line up perfectly ala the 260 starter with its two
bolts. It seems an odd combination,but everything seems to line up right. Has
anybody else out there been forced to go this odball route? How can I tell if
I need shims,or is shimming strictly an automatic need?
 Now to my oil adapter question. Is the rubber sealer gasket from an
oilfilter a suitable substitute for the  original gasket on our adapters that
fit between the adapter and the block? Are there any suitable substitutes if
this is not a viable option?
Thanks for the input.
Tony