Re: [Re: tiger cooling]

To: bob melusky <bmelusky@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: tiger cooling]
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:20:18 -0700
Bob,

The number I have for Ron Davis is (602) 269-9194. His radiator is quite a
bit thicker than stock and the stock fan shroud would also need to be
modified to fit (I don't use one, but it would help cooling at low rpms. I
have an auxiliary electric pusher fan instead.). The thick radiator may
present some clearance problems since, at best, everything fits really
close. The steering rack and the six-blade fan are two things that could be
a problem as these dimensions seem to vary a bit from Tiger to Tiger. You
asked about a water pump and, again, I recommend the one that SS sells. I
think the pump is an important component of a good cooling system. Your
symptoms suggest the possibility that the water pump isn't doing a good job
at low rpms. You could check this possibility out by measuring the
temperature at the outlet of the radiator while it's idling. If the
temperature drops a lot across the radiator (more than about 20 or thirty
degrees I would think), that means the flow is too slow. That conclusion is
pretty secure since the air flow with the six-blade Maverick fan is
certainly quite adequate.

Bob

.