RE: inquiry 042400a (follow up)

To: "'Wright, Larry'" <larry.wright@usop.com>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 042400a (follow up)
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:23:14 -0600
Hi all,

I've questioned the accuracy of those statements a few times myself, but
there seems to be a reasonable amount of evidence that this is, indeed the
case. On the surface, it seems like you're converting an awful lot of energy
into heat - 60 hp * 746 watts / HP is an awful lot. However, if you consider
that the gasoline engine is only about 15 to 20% efficient in converting the
fuel energy into crankshaft torque, with all the remainder going out the
exhaust, and being dissipated by the radiator, then it's not so
unreasonable.

So, for your pound of fuel, 75% goes to the radiator, 10% out the exhaust,
3% to the driveline, and the remaining 12% moves your car. The split between
the rad and the exhaust is a guess, but the total is about right.

Larry, and Larry, if your cars use Flowmasters like I just finished putting
on my car, you'll be really popular if you go Tigering, in stereo, in the
early morning ;)

Theo