RE: Air Cleaners

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air Cleaners
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:14:17 -0500
Steve Laifman wrote:
> If you want the same height, so you keep the stock hood, an
> after-market air
> cleaner will be round, and may drop down around the carb to
> give you more filter height.

        Thanks, Steve. What I had been thinking about sorta followed that
line, but with a twist. How about a drop-down base that allowed the stock
(or in my case, LAT2) top, and doubled "stock size" elements or the
equivalent?
        Susan has a really nice set of stainless-steel (and you know how I
feel about that) mixing bowls she never uses, with flat bases. So, I could
pick one and chop a (3-5/8" diameter? I can never remember) hole in the
center of the flat part. Then I cut it until only 3" deep. Setting it on the
stock base I scribe where the base needs to be cut. Brazing the two
together, I have a base that'll give stock-ish appearance but extra cfm at
the element.
        Problems:
        (A) NO FREAKING WAY am I going to cut my stock base, and there are
no replicas. I _could_ make a base that approximates it, though.
        (B) If I braze like I solder, it'll last 7 or 8 seconds after I fire
up the GQ.
        (C) I'm making a _big_ assumption that the restriction is primarily
at the element and that the flow will be OK as it shoots through the
still-limited space between the air horn and the stock filter top. 3-5/8"
times Pi times 1" high is 11.25 square inches which doesn't sound like much
but is mucho more than the venturis,  should be OK.
        (D) There would be, almost certainly, some minor metalworking to get
the round bowl ellipticallized to mate with the base, and perhaps clearance
issues with the float bowls, fuel lines, choke cable (!), etc.

        Larry Wright
        "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"

        Probably easier to run a non-stock air cleaner and swap it out at
shows.