Re: More brakes

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: More brakes
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 07:59:32 -0700
Larry,

It's amazing what you can come up with and how easy it is to search the
Web. I normally use Northern Light Search,

http://www.northernlight.com

but there are many good ones.

I'm sure your investment in the high performance brakes will be greatly
rewarded. How soon will you be ready to try them out? Whatever type of
brakes you have, I still maintain that pads make a big difference. Sort of
like the difference tires make in handling, and in ways that aren't easily
quantifiable.

BTW, in case you or anyone (Jay?) is wondering just how much I was
exaggerating about my braking experience at Willow, it was actually TWO
years ago (my time flies) and it was at turn four, not turn one, so only
doing about half the speed I claimed. This was on the smaller "Streets"
track, which is about a 1/2 scale version of the big track, which gives
only half the time between turns for the brakes to cool. Consequently, the
small track is brutal on brakes. Some on the List may recall that after
that weekend I posted my experience using, for the first time, the
Porterfield carbon/Kevlar brakes. Not even adding the rear discs made as
big a difference as going from the older asbestos/organic (e.g., DS-11)
brake material to the new carbon technology. I did pay the penalty for my
fun though; the brakes were pretty well fried from the heat, including the
rotors. More ventilation is definitely needed if I do it again (which I'm
getting the itch to do). If I can coax another fifty horses out of my
motor, maybe I can even do what Steve suggests and pass that Cobra on the
straightaway. But, as Clint says "A man has got to know his limitations."

TTFN,

Bob