Re: More brakes

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: More brakes
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 17:40:07 -0400
Hi Bob, and Thanks for the search engine.  I have never used this one
before, but of course there is only 24 hours in the day, and at the rate
the internet is growing, you need 100 hours per day.

Still putting the car together, with windshield, windows, and HT plus
alignment of the above is in the works.  Very slow progress.

As far as the brake system and parts, including the pads, here is the
lists that I sent to Ron Fraser the other day.

Front - Wilwood billet alum 4 piston caliber's, Coleman 11" vented
rotors, custom alum hat, and custom steel caliber bracket.  Rest of
front, i.e. spindles etc. are stock Tiger. Grade 8 bolts. Weights 4.2
lb. less per wheel than stock Tiger, even with the larger rotors.
Wilwood caliber's weigh only 2.5 lb. each.

Rear - Fiat 124 Caliber's, Audi Quantro 100 solid rotors, custom steel
mounting brackets.

Master Cylinder - Datsun 310 tandem, that was bead blasted, polished and
clear coated.

Booster - Lockheed from SS going to the front brakes only.

New lines, and ss flex brake lines.

Pads - Porterfield carbon kevlar, front and rear.

During the first go round, I bleed the brakes with a friend providing
the pedal power.  The Wilwood have bleeders on the top and bottom,
inside and out.  Well I figured that air rises to the top, and there
were internal fluid lines to each of the pistons.

When I stepped on the brakes I got 3" of pedal travel, and hard to stop
the car at low speeds.  Wow.  What was I doing wrong?

Tele calls to Dave Bean Engineering, after re-reading the books, and
thought the MC bore was too small, but they said try bleeding it again.

I replaced the vacuum line to the booster, which was collapsing, as it
was too soft for the 19" of vacuum the engine pulls.

Another friend came over and I just bleed the front Wilwoods only, and
this time did the bottom bleeders first and then the top, doing the
outside set first and the inside last.

It worked.

Another funny thing was that when bleeding the Wilwoods, the friend on
the pedal could not feel it going down, even though fluid was coming out
of the bleeder screws, and the MC reservoir was going down.

When I have time to figure out the scanner, I will post photos of the system.

Larry