F4B question / temp sensors

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: F4B question / temp sensors
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:02:10 -0600
Hi all,

So I disassembled a few pieces of my cooling system yesterday with the goal
of fitting the EFI's coolant temperature sensor. I discovered (as I had
suspected) that the original temperature sender (9/16 straight thread) was
screwed into a 3/8 NPT hole. The EFI's temp fitting is 3/8 NPT.

As I see it, I have a number of options.
1. Drill another hole in the manifold to fit the OEM sensor, and install the
EFI sensor where the OEM sensor went. This way I don't have to fill and
re-drill the OEM hole. Where on the F4B is there a reasonable amount of meat
around the water jacket? The most convenient location is on the thermostat
housing bulge. Any other location would pretty much require me to remove the
manifold to do the work to it.
2. Mount the temp sensor on the heater elbow. Since the old elbow is kind of
corroded anyway, I can build up a new one out of brass pieces, and
incorporate a 9/16 hole for the fitting. This appeals to me except that the
temperature reading may be affected by the flow through the heater. I
suppose I could arrange a little bleed fitting back to the water pump to
ensure that the temperature is correct.
3. Only use the new sensor, and do up some adapter electronics to massage
the new sensor's output to be suitable for the gauge input. This would be
the least intrusive, but the most work, since I'd have to determine first of
all, how the EFI system treats the temperature sensor.

Any ideas?

Theo