Pain in the rearend!

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pain in the rearend!
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 21:35:10 -0700
Dear List,
Having mentioned the excessive amount of play in the rearend some of you
recommended that I replace the bearings in the differential. I have embarked
on that process, but to all of my ability have not been able to remove the
axles. Using  slide hammer as the manual states didn't do anything. I then
constructed a more agressive slide hammer by attaching a hub puller to to
the hub. Instead of attaching the treaded bolt as a puller is normally used
I put a piece of half inch pipe 3 ft long into the puller hole and capped it
so it wouldn't slide out. I then attached a 5in. pulley over the pipe (I had
to have something to hit) and capped the back end as well. Then applying
tension as I should I began wailed as hard as I could on the pulley, which
pulled on the hub puller, hub, axle, bearing. NOTHING. Well I shouldn't say
nothing, I did a nice job of bending two lug bolts, maring most of them,
shattered the steel pulley and bent the steel pipe. The heat that I applied
probably cooked the inner seal not to mention that the seemingly good
bearing is now probably thrashed. I then took my coil spring compressor
hooking it to the back side of the hub running the bolts through holes for
the brake mount pivot and the cylinder. I then positioned two pipe wrenches
between the leaf spring and the frame rail to act as I beams to force the
compessor bolts against. Results: The compressor bolts bent about an inch
before I stopped, the car was creaking from the force. I would pull the
rearend, chain it to a tree stump and throw it off a cliff, but being I'm a
Crash Test Dummy for Murphy's law the stump would pull instead of the
bearing, I'd loose the rearend and chain and someone from "Save the Trees"
would have me fined for destroying a perfectly good stump. Even if the
rearend was pulled I can't see how it could be mounted in a press and have
pressure applied at the right points, so that seems out as well. I have
heard that the Postal Jeeps have the same rearend, but the drive shaft hub
and wheel hubs need to be changed. Is that true? Do the spring mounts line
up? Is there a difference in track width? There are a couple of these Jeeps
at the local Pick a Part and "Going Postal" would be cheaper than what I
have spent on bearings already. Mind you on my budget I don't restore, I
arrest decay. Ironically years ago I did this same task on my girlfriends
Celica and after removing the backing plate bolts the Axle/Bearing slid
right out. Results: She married me. Finally on the off chance that I
actually proceed and get the axles out I think I will need to replace the
gears as well (pitted). A while back I saw someone selling 2:88's for $50
and said he had about 10 sets. Does anyone know who this was? But thinking
of all that work I think I would rather go postal jeep if it will work.
Thanks to any of you who can help.   Tom Witt