FW: windscreen, side windows, and hard top

To: "'laceyf@crosslink.net'" <laceyf@crosslink.net>
Subject: FW: windscreen, side windows, and hard top
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:01:34 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From:   Ronak, TP (Timothy)
Sent:   Tuesday, June 13, 2000 11:26 AM
To:     laceyf@crosslink.net; <mailto:laceyf@crosslink.net;>  Ronak, TP
(Timothy)
Subject:        RE: windscreen, side windows, and hard top

Mark,
I had a really hard time with latching my tops both the convertible as well
as the hard top. I attributed it to the fact that the latch protrusion ( the
little stub) was binding as it entered the windshield clip. The correction
for me was to flip the wedge under the top clamshell so that it was
positioned thick side down and skinny edge up. This oriented the stub so
that it slid into the windshield clip without binding. I also have a new
seal that is very soft. I alligned the clips so that it only clamped with
enough force to obtaining a good seal and I did not try to over clamp it. It
is also important to position the clamshell so that the stub is inserting
into the center of the windshield clip. If you need it to move fore and aft
there are 2 ways to achieve this. The first is with the adjustments on the
top side rails that move the entire header forward, the second is to slide
the wedge up and down behind the clamshell. This will make the wedge act
fatter or skinnier as required moving the clam shell fore and aft.
When I did this it required 4 hands and you had to hold you tongue just
right or it did not work. My top is finally all installed and fit very well.
(except for the slight looseness behind the door glass. I have cycled it in
the sun a few days and it does seem to be shrinking out though and looks
better now than it did just 3 days ago.
Let me know if I can be of more help.
Regards,
Tim Ronak