RE: windscreen, side windows, and hard top

To: "'larry.p@erols.com'" <larry.p@erols.com>,
Subject: RE: windscreen, side windows, and hard top
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:27:39 -0500
                Someone asked for some thoughts on aligning the combination
of Faux vent window/windshield/hardtop/convertible. I have just gone through
this exercise and the only advice I can give is what worked for me. Being an
old Body man here is the order which I would suggest that you proceed.
                1 Align the doors.
                2 Temporarily mount the windscreen
                3 Ensure the vent window fits as well as possible and is
"tilted back" and "raised" as much as the mounting will allow with the ¼
window having the same inward slant to the top edge as the windscreen when
viewed from behind the car. (Running parallel to the drip edge)
                4 Mount the windscreen as best as you can using the stiffest
wedge or fill the cavity in the bottom of the windscreen with some hardening
product such as super fast urethane or duramix structural adhesive. The
reason is that regardless how stiff of rubber you use the edges of the
windscreen cut into the wedge rendering it useless as the windshield settles
back. (Like mine has begun to do after 7 months)
                5 Then align the convertible to the screen location
adjusting the header to fit the upper edge of the screen. Be sure to install
the clamshell spacers with skinny side up. It makes sense to try and almost
make the convertible too long as once the fabric is on it seems to attach in
such a way it pulls the windscreen back. Then install the fabric for the
roof. John C. ???? in Edmonton THANK YOU!!!!!!!  (He signs JC) sent me great
roof instructions and I am going to expand and add some top bow dimensions
to it to help others as well.
                6 Last fit the hard top as best you can to the rest of the
pieces.
                I hope that helps all gotta run!
                Best Regards,
                Tim Ronak