Re: New engine

To: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>,
Subject: Re: New engine
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:59:14 -0700
Steve,

Just to make sure you haven't created a misunderstanding regarding 302
versus 5.0L, I believe they are exactly the same engine in terms of bore
and stroke and the 5.0L designation probably was a marketing decision
rather than being based on any of the many changes that have been made to
this same basic engine over the past thirty years. I also am skeptical of
blaming the broken skirt problem on the slightly longer stroke, since there
are many stroker motors out there that push way beyond the 302 stroke in
the same block. I'd blame it simply one bad pistons. I think we have heard
Cmdr. Barker and others on the List note this problem particularly on the
BOSS 302 motors.