A Tiger in Dubai?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: A Tiger in Dubai?
From: "Olson, Mark W" <mark.w.olson@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:15:16 -0700
All,

You are not going to believe this, but I am sitting in my hotel room in
Bombay, India, watching TV.  I was bored by watching the third recap of how
the Indian stock market did today, when I decided to do the male thing of
scanning the channels with the remote control.

Lo and behold, I hit the Dubai channel, (United Arab Emirates, audio in
Arabic) and there was a British Racing Green Tiger pulling out of a
driveway.  I just watched a ten minute segment (8:00 to 8:10pm, Aug 25,
Bombay time), dubbed in Arabic, about a classic Sunbeam Tiger owned by a
Marcus Steininger.  His car had a white oval sticker with the letters "GBM".
I don't know what country that is.  His tag number was M CN6018 (or it might
have been M CN6081 as I sometimes have lesdixia.)  It was a MkIA and the
wheels looked like minilites, although I didn't make a note of it at the
time.  The steering wheel, tach and distributor cap were not stock.  The
rest of the dash looked pretty original.  It had an original generator.  It
had Tiger cast aluminum valve covers and a cast aluminum Tiger air cleaner.
It was shown soft top up and down and with hard top.

Mixed in with the Arabic, I heard "Alpine", "Carroll Shelby" and "Chrysler",
so I expect the history of the Tiger was being told.

The people interviewed on the show were called "Faszination Oldtimers" and
it looks like the show was sponsored by Mercedes Benz.  Based on the names
of the other people interviewed and the scenery, I'd guess the show was
originally in German, before it's Arabic dubbing for Dubai.

At the end of the show, the credits were in Arabic except for "Power Sports
International" and a phone number that went by too fast.

Maybe it's jet lag, but I was blown away by seeing a Tiger segment on Dubai
TV.  Anybody know Marcus or his fine looking car?

Mark

PS, For those of you who get jealous of business travelers, I've been
through Beijing, China (Hiked 4 hours on a remote part of the Great Wall,
saw the Forbidden City, Tianamen Square and the Summer Palace) and Seoul,
Korea on this trip.  For those of you who have done business travel and will
have sympathy for me, I'm only just now getting over "Mao's Revenge", and
I'm only just getting into India, where I'm sure I'll get it again (called
"Delhi Belly" here.)  Buy stock in Immodium AD.  Aside from 2 days
sightseeing in Beijing, it has been long days in business meetings in hotel
conference rooms and late night dinners eating very strange food and
drinking way too much with people who I have to work real hard to
communicate with.  And trying to close some business to make the trip worth
while.  I get to return to San Jose by traveling 23 hours via Frankfurt on
Wednesday (following the sun) to complete my first around-the-world business
trip.