RE: Dist. Cap

To: "Larry Paulick" <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Dist. Cap
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:00:41 -0700
Larry,

You will have to ask your dyno guy why he picked .048". Did he even try a
run with your .063" gaps? In general, as you turn higher rpms, the energy
per spark decreases. In a conventional coil and breaker setup, with the
aforementioned gaps, the engine would probably start missing somewhere in
the 5-6k rpm range (depending on compression and other factors. As we have
discussed previously on the List, the purpose of the dual-point distributor
is to increase the dwell and get as much energy into the coil per discharge
as possible. .016" gap with a dual point is probably equivalent to about
0.08" gap or less with a single set of points. Of course, we all know that
the MSD, in addition to providing multiple discharges at lower rpms,
continues to give a single strong discharge at much higher rpms than even a
dual point system would. However, even an MSD system has its limits and if
the gap is too large, at some point the MSD will not generate enough voltage
and/or current to produce an effective spark. Of course the other thing that
can happen with a big gap is voltage breakdown, but this can happen at any
rpm. So, is there really any advantage to a big spark gap? In my experience,
I see a difference in terms of how smooth the idle is. I can't really say
that I see any more power at the high rpm end so you should take the advice
of an experienced dyno tuner on this count. I have been told by people who
should know that a new set of plugs is worth a few more ponies on the dyno.
Indexing the plugs is supposed to help too. BTW, based on the advice given
on the List and elsewhere, I index the gap in the region between 3 o'clock
and 6 o'clock. Again, without a dyno I can't confirm whether it really helps
or not.

Bob